Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Wolves of a Thousand Eyes (Chap. 2)

Another chapter! I made this one the same day I made the first chapter. I had a lot of time on my hands.

____________________________________________________________________________

Part 1. Chapter 2. The lone wolf

Felhwin made it out alive, he has slowed our pace though, Rain reports that the humans are less than half a days away. I cannot see my pack go down to a bunch of rabid pink dogs, so I am leading us onward, as we go north it is getting colder. 3 days ago me and the healthy male had enough time to catch a small elk. I did not take much, for I am still strong enough to go on. Rain has been annoying me, he never did have the best puphood.

Rain is a not the most pleasant wolf to be around. He was born a week after I was. As pups we had never liked each other, he was always jealous of me being the color of a Ember, and other wolves saying I had a bright future. One day he took it to far. I was at the riverbank, between the two oak trees that was a few meters from my birth den. I did not hear him, for the sound of the water rushing was to loud. At the end of the river is a small waterfall, with lots of rocks at the bottom and a even stronger current, before I was born a elder went down the falls and died. There was one adult wolf by me, she was placed at the front of the birthing den, she had payed no attention to me when I passed her, pups aren't supposed to go near the riverbank. I heard a crack of a twig and I spun around to see Rain, he was larger than me at the time, not by much though. He grinned a devilish grin that I used to have nightmares about, though I will never talk of that. I saw his paw move forward, as if he was going to pounce on me. I slowly edged my way around him. Still looking at him, fear but intensity in my eyes. He pounced, I did not know what to do. I panicked at first, kicking and squirming. The adult she-wolf never looked at us, the river was to loud. He backed away, limping to his right side, I looked at his leg, it had a small gash in the ankle area. He ran, full force, I tried to side step but my left back leg would not move, he hit me. I remember myself falling, I did not know where, I guessed into the river, and I was right. I yelled the loudest I could, the she-wolf at the den finally noticed and howled for the upper-rank males of the pack. another sharp pain went up my leg. All I remember next was that I hit something hard. I blacked out. when I woke up I was told that Rain and his mother were exiles, and I hit a rock on the edge of the falls, right before them, and I was dragged by the current onto the rock. I still don't know how they got me out from there. Rain and his mother came back to the pack when Rain was a juvenile wolf, much like me, but he was smaller than me for once, and it has stayed that way.

I have always known that the rest of the pack wanted to go back home, and to do that they would have to encourage Rain to challenge me for my leadership, since the begging of the trip I have noticed he has been getting bigger, and sneaking off more often. there is still a long ways to go before Rain can ever beat me, again.

"Torya" I said "How is Falhwin doing?"

"Okay" she said "I don't know why we keep him. he's just slowing us down."

I snapped at her.

"Because he is part of this pack" I replied "And that he has been able to keep up with us"

She gave me that look that says "Why the heck was that for?" and walked away.

Torya has always been kind of moody, she has been that way since her mother has disappeared, Kircha, We don't know much about her, she came into the pack as a pregnant she-wolf, we let her in, after she gave birth she ran away, leaving her daughter here. We had a long debate whether to keep Torya or not. After a few days Torya got annoyed with us and disappeared, she was about a 6 months old at the time. When she came back she was a full grown beautiful she-wolf, but she was sour. She says she was still mad at us, and only came back because she was lonely, I suspect different though. She snaps at me whenever I ask about what she did when she was gone.

"Obeya" I say "Are there any villages before us?"

"I have seen one" He said "It is about a 3 days run away."

"Dangit" I curse "We must go around it, if were lucky, the humans will stop there."

Obeya nodded and walked away

We started to outpace the humans. On the sixth day of our travels Falhwin was about the same as he was before he fell down. That night as we were all walking along in the great forest we heard a howl, Obeya was about to answer when I stopped him. There were a few other calls along with it. When I heard the same call I beckoned the pack toward it. It was a lone wolf, lonely like them all. And in search of food, a female most likely. We only walked 50 paces when we saw this wolf perched on a rock. I moved forward, fur raised on my back. The rest of the pack followed close behind but not visible if the wolf saw me. I growled to get the wolfs attention. She turned her head, fur raised on neck, looking frightened, fear swelling up in her eyes...

To be continued... Who is this mysterious wolf? Where has Rain been sneaking off to? Keep reading to find out!

No comments:

Post a Comment